How to Apply to the Psychiatry Program?
If you are couples matching, please let us know so that we can try to coordinate schedules.
Application Deadline: December 1st
We begin reviewing applications from mid-September through January of the following year. Most applicants are called for interviews before January.
What we are looking for in an applicant?
Ours is a diverse group of residents from different parts of the country. We hope to maintain that diversity over the years to come. In addition, here are some other key elements (there may be others) we look for in an applicant when reviewing applications AND during the interview:
- Well-written personal statement that clearly describes how various professional and personal experiences led you to decide on choosing Psychiatry.
- Preference will be given to applicants that have passed USMLE or COMLEX Step 1, and Step 2 CS and CK on the first attempt.
- Exceptional narratives from all mentors and teachers in medical school must be documented in the MSPE.
- Three letters of recommendation (LOR) that clearly describe the author's familiarity with you and your interest in Psychiatry. Short, generic and plain letters typically result in an applicant not being chosen. 2 LORs must be from psychiatrists in an ACGME-accredited residency program on residency program letterhead.
- Applicant must have done at 2-3 rotations in Psychiatry during medical school in a variety of clinical settings.
- Applicant must have a clear understanding of the main components of a psychiatric interview along with an MS4 level knowledge of psychopharmacology and psychotherapy.
- Demonstrated humanitarian, volunteer or advocacy work and experience in mental health related areas over the course of the applicant's life.
- Clear explanation of why the applicant would want to live in Lexington for residency - very important for applicants not native to Lexington.
- Clear explanation of how the applicant perceives that he or she will fit in with our group of residents.
- Description of applicant's strengths and areas in need of improvement; how will these impact the program.
- Please make certain that the photograph in your application is professional, taken by either your medical school or a photo studio.
We interview on some Wednesdays from late October through late January. The exact dates will be determined closer to interviewing season. Six to eight candidates are interviewed each day. Please be dressed professionally. Remember that the entire time you are with us (from dinner with residents the evening before until the afternoon of interview day) we are reviewing your potential as a future resident. Also ensure that all communications with us following the interview are also professional with timely responses to our queries.