How to Apply to the Psychiatry Program
Applicants who are international medical graduates are required to have current Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certification. We sponsor J-1 visas only.
Application Deadline: Dec. 1
What we are looking for in an applicant?
Part of our mission is to train quality psychiatrists to help fill the clinical need in our region. Therefore, we consider ties to the region as part of our screening process but do value maintaining a diverse group of residents. In addition, here are some key elements (there may be others) we look for in an applicant when reviewing applications and during the interview:
- A well-written personal statement that clearly describes how various professional and personal experiences led you to decide upon psychiatry as a specialty.
- Preference will be given to applicants that have passed USMLE or COMLEX Step 1, and Step 2 CK on the first attempt. A passing score is required for either USMLE Step 1 or COMLEX Level 1 for application and a passing score for USMLE Step 2 CK or COMLEX Level 2 CE and must be submitted prior to the rank list submission deadline or the applicant will not be ranked by the program.
- A minimum of two letters of recommendation that clearly describe the author's familiarity with you and your interest in psychiatry should be included in your application. Short, generic, or plain letters typically result in an applicant not being chosen. At least one letter must be from a psychiatrist, ideally in an ACGME-accredited residency program on residency program letterhead.
- The applicant should have done at least two to three rotations in psychiatry during medical school in a variety of clinical settings.
- The applicant should demonstrate humanitarian, volunteer, or advocacy work and experience in mental health related areas over the course of their educational training.
Preference is given to applicants who have graduated medical school within two years of the application date.
Interview Scheduling Process and Interview Day
All interviews in the 2021-22 recruitment season will be done virtually. We interview on some Wednesdays and Fridays from early November through late January. The exact dates will be determined closer to interviewing season. Five to six candidates are interviewed each day. Please dress professionally. Remember that the entire time you are with us, we are reviewing your potential as a future resident. Also, ensure that all communications with us following the interview are professional with timely responses to our queries.
For all our interview scheduling, we use the program Thalamus. This program will be an important tool for candidates selected for interview as it will be a secure and reliable connection to our availability and communications. Interview invitations will be sent out on Friday afternoons.
Prior to interviewing, all prospective interview candidates should visit the UK GME prospective residents and fellows page found here to review information related to the following:
- Stipends and benefits
- GME policies and procedures
- Interview acknowledgement forms
A typical interview day is as follows:
- Introduction and program overview with the program director
- 4-5 one-on-one interviews with faculty and a chief resident
- Video tour of Lexington and core rotation sites
- A chance to interact virtually with residents from the psychiatry residency program