How to Apply
We have 2 Internal Medicine/Psychiatry PGY 1 positions. All positions are filled through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP).
All applications are through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Candidates are invited for interviews based on their application, including the Medical School Performance Evaluation, personal statement, medical school transcript, United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) or COMLEX scores (Step 1 and Step 2 if available), and three letters of recommendation are recommended with at least one letter each from a Psychiatrist and an Internist. Strong applications will demonstrate a strong interest in both Internal Medicine and Psychiatry in their application and personal statement.
Additional Program Requirements
While we do not have a minimum USMLE score, applicants with a STEP 2 CK score above 235 are more likely to be ranked competitively. The USMLE Step 1 and STEP 2 CK scores must be submitted prior to the rank list submission deadline for an applicant to be ranked by the program.
While we do accept COMLEX scores, USMLE is preferred if available.
For Foreign Medical Graduates -- You must be ECFMG certified by June 30th of the year you are wishing to start residency. We consider applicants who are less than 2 years out from medical school graduation or those who have been practicing clinical medicine since graduation. The University of Kentucky will only sponsor J-1 Visas. All Visa decisions are made by the Graduate Medical Education office, not by the Departments of Internal Medicine and Psychiatry.
Interview Scheduling Process and Interview Day
Due to the COVID 19 Pandemic, all interviews in the 2020-21 recruitment season will be done virtually. Interviews will be on Monday afternoons from early November 2020 through January 2021.
For all our interview scheduling, we use the program Thalamus. This program will be an important tool for candidates selected for interview as it will be a secure and reliable connection to our availability and communications.
Helpful Instructions Regarding Thalamus:
- Once selected to interview, candidates will be sent an email inviting them to schedule their interview through Thalamus. Once a candidate clicks the link, they will follow the proper steps for scheduling:
- Create your profile: Confirm your information and set up your profile.
- Schedule your interview: availability, preferred dates, easy changes, and the Smart Calendar will allow for flexible scheduling. This program has a lot of great features that can be used by all candidates invited to our program, so make sure to explore the options.
Prior to interviewing, all prospective interview candidates should visit the UK GME Prospective Residents and Fellows page found here to review information related to the following:
- Stipends & Benefits
- GME Policies & Procedures
- Interview Acknowledgement Forms
The Interview day will include:
- A program overview by the Program Directors
- A video tour of Lexington and core rotation sites
- Interviews with faculty in both the Internal Medicine and Psychiatry departments
- A chance to interact virtually with residents from both the Internal Medicine and Psychiatry programs
Please contact our Program Coordinator with any questions. (For the quickest and most effective response, please use the preferred email contact information for your questions.)
Preferred Contact: Karla.Anderson@uky.edu